Have You Been Charged With A Crime Of The Second Degree, Third Degree or Fourth Degree Aggravated Assault In Holmdel New Jersey?
Contact Our Holmdel Office To Speak To The Former Prosecutors At Our Firm
An aggravated assault offense can arise in Holmdel New Jersey many ways. Our lawyers encounter this charge as a result of domestic violence, a physical encounter with a Holmdel police officer, bar fight or a host of other settings. Irrespective, the charge is a felony crime of the second degree, third degree or fourth degree that can land you in prison for years. This is one of the main reasons why it is so crucial to hire the best lawyer you can find to defend your Holmdel aggravated assault.
The team of criminal defense attorneys in our Holmdel Office have the qualities to ensure you reach a favorable outcome in your aggravated assault case. We are accomplished litigators and former prosecutors that have over a century experience representing clients who have been arrested for aggravated assault in the Holmdel Township. To discuss your aggravated assault charge with an attorney with the tools to help you avoid the pitfalls of a conviction, call 732-737-8487.
Holmdel Aggravated Assault Offense
N.J.S.A. 2C:12-1b sets forth eleven (11) categories of aggravated assault. The scenarios for an aggravated assault offense outlined in this law include:
- An attempt to cause, knowingly causing, or recklessly causing serious bodily injury under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life;
- Attempting or purposely causing bodliy injury to another with a deadly weapon;
- Recklessly causing bodily injury to another with a deadly weapon;
- Knowingly pointing a firearm under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life;
- Committing a simple assault on a victim who is a police officer, firearm, EMT, teacher or other individual set forth in 2C:12-1b(5);
- Causing bodily injury to another while eluding the police;
- Attempting, knowingly causing, or recklessly causing significant bodily injury to another under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life;
- Knowingly causing a fire that results in bodily injury or worse to another;
- Knowingly, under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life, pointing or displaying a firearm in the direction of a law enforcement officer;
- Knowingly pointing, displaying or using an imitation firearm at or in the direction of a law enforcement officer with the purpose to intimidate, threaten or attempt to put the officer in fear of bodily injury or for any unlawful purpose; or
- Using or activating a laser sighting system or device, or a system or device which, in the manner used, would cause a reasonable person to believe that it is a laser sighting system or device, against a law enforcement officer acting in the performance of his duties while in uniform or exhibiting evidence of his authority.
An aggravated assault charge can result in a crime of the second degree, third degree or fourth degree under 2C:12-1b. Aggravated assault is a second degree crime under 1 and 6 above. It is a third degree crime if aggravated assault occurs under 2, 7, 9 or 11. A violation of 2C:12-1b is a fourth degree crime when it occurs under 3 or 4 above. An aggravated assault resulting under 5 is a crime of the third degree if the victim suffers bodily injury and otherwise a crime of the fourth degree. Aggravated assault is a third degree crime under 8 if the victim sustains bodily injury and a second degree crime if serious bodily injury is sustains.
The penalties for a second degree aggravated assault include 5-10 years in prison and a fine of up to $150,000. A third degree aggravated assault results in 3-5 years of imprisonment and a fine that can reach $15,000. The maximum fine is $10,000 and period of imprisonment is up to 18 months for fourth degree aggravated assault. All of these grades of 2C:12-1b offense fall outside the jurisdiction of the Holmdel Municipal Court and must be dealt with at the Monmouth County Superior Court in Freehold New Jersey.
Holmdel Aggravated Assault Defense Lawyer
Whether you were arrested for aggravated assault in Holmdel as a result of an altercation with a student or teacher, fight at PNC Bank Art Center or another scenario, you need to hire an accomplished defense lawyer if you want to have the best opportunity to avoid a conviction. The attorneys at the Law Offices of Jonathan F. Marshall have been defending fourth degree, third degree and second degree charges for aggravated assault at the county courthouse for decades with success. If you were charged with a Holmdel NJ aggravated assault offense, an attorney on our team certainly has the qualifications to mount a potent defense. Call us at 732-737-8487 for a free consultation with one of our lawyers.
Related Holmdel Legal Resources Pages & Posts
Holmdel New Jersey Domestic Violence Lawyers