Holmdel Township NJ First Offense Lawyers
The DWI defense team at The Law Offices of Jonathan F. Marshall possesses an extraordinary record of success in defending first offense cases in Holmdel and throughout Monmouth County. Whether your DWI is pending in Wall Township, Middletown, Howell or one of the less active drunk driving courts in the county, our staff has the skills you need to avoid a first offense conviction. There is no other firm in the county or even the state with 7 dwi lawyers under one roof. However, our qualifications go well beyond simply size. We also happen to employ at least 4 former prosecutors, four (4) who are among the approximately 50 in the state certified on the Alcotest Breath Test machine, as well as 4 of approximately 10 attorneys certified in Standardized Field Sobriety Tests. We believe these qualifications are exceptional in terms of the available representation for your Holmdel first offense. We are also strategically located with offices in Red Bank, Freehold, Tinton Falls and Freehold to effectively defend individuals in all of the courts in the county. Give us a call anytime to speak to one of our attorneys about your first dwi offense.
Penalties That Apply For A First Offense Of Driving While Intoxicated
There are a slew of penalties and consequences that apply if you are convicted in Holmdel or another municipality of your first DWI or DUI offense. The following is a breakdown of what you are facing:
- Fines & Monetary Assessments for a First Offense. The penalties for a first offense under N.J.S.A. 39:4-50 are significant and including the following a fine of between $250 and $500. There are also mandatory assessments that the court must impose in the event of a first conviction including $50 for the Victims of Crime Compensation Board, $75 for the Safe Neighborhood Fund, $100 for DUI Enforcement, and $100 as a DUI Surcharge.
- Drivers License Suspension for a First Offense. If the conviction is based on a blood alcohol content (BAC) of .08% but less than .10% (a.k.a. “First Tier”), then there is a mandatory license suspension of three (3) months. If the BAC is .10% or more (a.k.a. “Second Tier”) then the suspension is between seven (7) and twelve (12) months. For cases involving a first offense for driving under the influence of drugs, the suspension period upon conviction is 7-12 months.
- Jail for a First Offense. The judge may also impose up to thirty (30) days of jail although that is incarceration is rare for a first offense.
- Ignition Interlock Requirement for a First Offense. There is mandatory installation of an ignition interlock device for convictions based on a BAC of .15% or more. The ignition interlock must be installed and maintained on all vehicles registered or regularly operated by a first offender during the period of the suspension plus 6-12 following restoration of driving privileges.
- Surcharges that Apply to a First Offense. A mandatory surcharge of $1,000 per year for a period of three (3) years is also imposed by the New Jersey Division of Motor Vehicles in event of conviction.
- Intoxicated Drivers Resource Center Requirements for a First Offense. Lastly, an individual must serve between twelve (12) hours and forty-eight (48) hours in the Intoxicated Drivers Resource Center (IDRC) following a first conviction.
Red Bank NJ DWI Attorneys for a First Offense
You definitely want to hire an attorney who is both knowledgeable in DWI/DUI defense and familiar with the court where you are charged. In terms of our firm, we have been practicing in Monmouth County for well over 20 years with several of our lawyers having even served as prosecutors in area towns like Matawan, Hazlet, Holmdel, Howell, and substitute prosecutor in Wall, Middletown, Colts Neck and Atlantic Highlands. We are well known within the system and appear in multiple municipal courts in the county almost every day, including in Red Bank where our main office is located. We are ready to assist you immediately for a first offense and initial consultations with our lawyers are complimentary. Give us a call anytime 24/7 for assistance.
Other DWI Resource Pages
- Second Offense
- Third Offense
- Underage DWI
- School Zone DUI
- Driving Under the Influence of Drugs
- Breath Test Refusal
Municipalities We Serve
- Tinton Falls DWI Lawyer
- Howell NJ DWI Attorneys
- Wall DWI Attorney
- Middletown NJ DWI Lawyer
- Holmdel DWI Lawyers
- And more…