Possession of marijuana is an offense that routinely arises in the City of Long Branch. Most of the time the variety of charge is possession of 50 grams or less of marijuana. Fourth degree marijuana possession is the other form although it is encountered less frequently in Long Branch. Irrespective of which breed of N.J.S.A. 2C:35-10 violation you are facing, an attorney at The Law Offices of Jonathan F. Marshall is prepared to defend you. Our attorneys comprise Monmouth County’s largest defense firm and a team of former prosecutors with over 100 years experience. To speak to a Long Branch Criminal Lawyer on our staff anytime 24/7, call our Red Bank Office at 732-450-8300. Initial consultations are free of charge.
Marijuana Possession Charge in Long Branch NJ
If your summons or complaint involves personal possession of 50 grams or less of marijuana, your case will be heard in Long Branch Municipal Court. This is the venue where Long Branch misdemeanor violations, referred to as disorderly persons offenses, are decided. When the quantity possessed is in excess of 50 grams, the offense falls within the jurisdiction of the Monmouth County Superior Court. The following is a breakdown of the penalties and other important aspects of each form of marijuana possession.
- Possession of 50 Grams or Less. This disorderly persons offense carries a maximum fine of $1,000 and up to six months in the county jail. You also face a driver’s license suspension of six to twenty-four months upon conviction. The diversion program that applies in this instance is conditional discharge.
- Possession of More Than 50 Grams. Fourth degree possession of marijuana is a felony. A conviction results in a fine of up to $10,000 and a state prison term of up to 18 months. The license suspension previously described also applies in this instance. Pretrial intervention is the diversion program for an indictable charge like this.
Possession With Intent To Distribute Marijuana
An entirely separate subspecies of offense is distribution or possession with intent to distribute marijuana. The general distribution statute is N.J.S.A. 2C:35-5 and is triggered when possession is for the purpose of trafficking or selling drugs like marijuana. The severity of this violation grades all the way from a fourth degree crime to first degree crime, depending on the quantity of marijuana involved. There are also variations to a possession with intent charge that apply if you are arrested in a Long Branch school zone or within 500 feet of a public park/housing project. Your case will definitely involve exposure to a state prison term if it is alleged that you were selling. All cases of this nature also fall outside the jurisdiction of the City of Long Branch Municipal Court and must be referred to Freehold for adjudication by the Superior Court.
Long Branch NJ Possession of Marijuana Defense Lawyer
If you have been accused of possessing marijuana in Long Branch, it would be a mistake to take the offense lightly. You will absolutely have a criminal record and be subject to penalties that are potentially life altering. Fines and monetary consequences can escalate to thousands, there is jail/prison that may be imposed, and you will lose your driving privileges. A marijuana defense lawyer at The Law Offices of Jonathan F. Marshall can typically accomplish quite a bit in avoiding these ramifications. The attorneys on our staff are available 24/7 to assist you in this regard. For a free consultation, call our 732-450-8300.
Related Resource Pages To Further Assist You
- Long Branch Criminal Attorney
- Drug Possession Lawyers in Long Branch New Jersey
- Long Branch NJ Cocaine Possession Defense Lawyer
- Long Branch CDS Distribution Attorneys