CDS Possession Lawyer in Middletown Township
A major category of criminal offense that is encountered in Middletown NJ is drug possession. Whether the controlled dangerous substance (“CDS”) is marijuana, heroin, cocaine or some variety of prescription drug, a conviction carries consequences that can severely impact your life. A skilled defense attorney is certainly a powerful weapon to help you avoid penalties that result from a Middletown drug possession conviction. The Law Offices of Jonathan F. Marshall is uniquely qualified to represent you in this role with several lawyers that are former prosecutors, even one that has served in Middletown, and a team that has over a century of collective experience defending CDS charges. Contact our Middletown Office at 732-615-0039 for a free consultation with an attorney on our staff. Attorneys are ready to assist you without obligation 24/7.
Middletown NJ Drug Possession Offense
Most drug possession offenses in Middletown NJ arise out of N.J.S.A. 2C:35-10. This law exposes an individual to a disorderly persons offense, fourth degree crime or third degree crime if they possess CDS without a valid prescription. You can possess a drug/cds either actually or constructive under 2C:35-10. Actual possession contemplates physical custody of the drugs. Constructive possession arises when someone is not in physical possession of the cds but is aware of its presence and has the intention and ability to take possession of it in the future. The grade of offense resulting from possession hinges on the type of drug and quantity possessed.
- Disorderly Persons Offense. Possession of 50 grams or less of marijuana or 5 grams or less of hashish is a disorderly person offense that results in a fine of up to $1,000 and up to 6 months in jail.
- Fourth Degree Crime. Possessing more than 50 grams of marijuana or CDS contained in Schedule V is a fourth degree crime that carries a fine of up to $25,000 and $15,000 respectively, and up to 18 months in prison.
- Third Degree Crime. If you possessed CDS contained in Schedule Schedule I, II, III or IV, you face a third degree crime, up to 5 years in prison and a fine that can reach $35,000. The most common charges falling under this heading are possession of heroin and cocaine.
In addition to the penalties previously outlined, there is a mandatory driver’s license suspension that is imposed whenever someone is sentenced for possessing drugs or CDS.
Middletown NJ CDS Possession Defense Lawyers
A charge of possession of CDS in Middletown Township NJ obviously has the potential to cause some serious complication of your life. A conviction results in not only a criminal record and mandatory driver’s license suspension, but can also trigger incarceration. Your best option for escaping ramifications such as these is to hire an attorney who is highly skilled in defending Middletown CDS possession cases. The Middletown NJ Defense Lawyers at The Law Offices of Jonathan F. Marshall have the tools required to successfully defend you in this capacity. Call 732-615-0039 to speak to an attorney immediately about the facts surrounding your arrest and what can be done on your behalf to avert a plea or finding of guilt.
Additional Middletown NJ Legal Resources To Assist You
- Middletown Traffic Ticket Attorney
- Middletown Disorderly Conduct Lawyers
- Middletown NJ Simple Assault Lawyer
- Middletown Township Heroin Possession Attorneys
- Possession in Intent to Distribution Marijuana in Middletown
- Middletown CDS Distribution Attorneys
- Cocaine Possession Lawyer in Middletown NJ
- Middletown NJ Marijuana Defense Attorneys
- Middletown Marijuana Possession Attorney
- Middletown Aggravated Assault Lawyers
- Middletown NJ DWI Attorney